Monday, May 5, 2008

Optimism is for Suckers


Okay, I'll admit it. The Flyers may be better than I give them credit for. They managed to dispatch the number one seed Montreal Canadiens. They now move on to Pittsburgh. (which doesn't seem far, but really is) Can they win? I don't know. Will they win? I don't know. Do I want them to win? Yes. I do. I'm only human. As much as I don't want to believe, a tiny little part of me is rejoicing.

As a wise man told me this weekend about the Flyers chances: Why not? This logic may not be based on statistics, or goals against averages, or anything like that. But, let's say that the Flyers are going to win. Why? Because they might. They might just be able to pull it off. They could win. Couldn't they?

I like it. Not needing a good argument is a plus. But, it is also such an uplifting idea. Why can't the Flyers win? Why couldn't they get lucky and erase 25 years of suffering for the city of Philadelphia, and, 32 years of grief for their own franchise? They could win. It's kind of a "Yes I Can" for the cynical. It is not a definitive answer, but allows those of us who have been hurt by this team to hedge our bets. If they blow it, we can still say we knew it. But, if they win, we can say we knew it. Brilliant. All teams should try this.

So, it could happen. They could really do it. They could collapse like a house of cards on the Brady Bunch. But, they might not. Maybe this time, Marcia will take off her charm bracelet and Tiger won't run through the living room, ruining hours of hard work. It could happen. Why not?

No comments: