Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Tejada traded for bucket of balls


When people ask me why I don't go to 20 Orioles game a year, like I did when I was in college, I respond with two answers. The first is all about time, I had more of it then and the ball park was a great place to burn the excess. The second answer is all about how poorly the organization is run.

Today the O's traded Miguel Tejada to the Astros for three pitchers, a 5th OF and a 24 year old AA third baseman. At first blush I thought this was just as bad as the Glen Davis deal, now I just hate it. I know they probably wanted to move Miggy before his name came up in the Mitchell Report, or maybe they believe the rumors that he's really 36 not 32. Either way, they could have gotten a bit more in return for him, like, oh I don't know, a major league ready Short Stop. "Batting second and playing Short Stop, 38 year old Melvin Mora, Mora." That doesn't sound too good to me.

The O's picked up Luke Scott who in 132 games with Houston hit 255-18-64. Scott is 29 and may actually start in Left Field for the O's which is really sad. Next on the hit list was Dennis Sarfate, a 26 year old right handed reliever who had some nice numbers (1-0 1.08, 14 K's in 8.1 IP) in his stint in the majors this year. His minor league numbers (2-7 4.52 68 Ks 47 BB in 61.2 IP) aren't as great, but at least he's not over the hill.

The deal also included two lefty starters: Matt Albers and Troy Patton. Albers pitched to a 5.86 ERA with a 4-11 record in 31 games for the Astros, 18 of them starts. He posted a 2-3 record in AAA with a 3.74 record. Patton is one of the gems in this deal. He is just 22 years old and had a combined record of 10-8 with a 3.51 ERA between AA and AAA. He also pitched 12.1 innings in the majors, posting an 0-2 record and a 3.55 ERA.

The last peice the O's received in this deal was 3B Michael Costanzo, who the Astros got in a trade themselves with the Phillies. Costanzo, 24, was rated the Astro's 6th highest prospect and had very nice numbers with Reading last year (.270-27-86).

No comments: