Sunday, December 2, 2007

Quoth Jim Mora: Playoffs!?!


I know I've been harping on this, and I know I'm far from the only one. College football needs a playoff, there's no way around it. The NCAA runs those commercials where they talk about the thousands of athletes that will turn pro in something other than sports, and most of them will have had the opportunity to do so after striving to win a national championship. All football players can't say the same thing.

Quick: Who's #1? How about #2-#9? I bet you would have a total different answer to that then I would, and we both would have a different answer then the BCS will end up having. I'll go on record as saying that Ohio State will get waxed by the other OSU, LSU, WVU, UGA, USC or VA Tech. Hell, I'd bet my mortgage payment on 9-3 Florida beating the Buckeyes again if they had a shot. But, they have three losses and there's no way a team with three losses should be able to play for a title. Hey, remember when there was no way a team with 2 losses could play for a title, like a week and a half ago?

Once again #1 and #2 couldn't hold serve as Mizzou and West Virginia lost last night, and the whole system is in upheaval. I personally would like to see USC play Georgia for the title game, because I think that would be the best game on the field. But, I would also take LSU vs VA Tech in a rematch (and a game involving two schools who have gone through large scale tragedies over the last few years). What is clear is we need a playoff. 8 teams in a three round tournament to decide the champ:

#1 Ohio State vs #8 Hawai'i in the Fiesta Bowl
#2 Georgia vs # 7 Mizzou in the Orange Bowl
#3 USC vs #6 Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl
#4 LSU vs #5 West Virgina in the Sugar Bowl

The winner of 1v8 (Hawai'i') Plays the winner of 4v5 (LSU).
The winner of 2v7 (Georgia) Plays the winner of 3v6 (USC)
#8 Hawai'i loses to #4 LSU and #2 Georgia loses to #3 USC to set up:

The National Title game to be played at some huge stadium the week between the NFC/AFC Title games and the Superbowl, pitting #4 LSU (13-2) against #3 USC (11-2). I'd watch that, hell I'd even fill out brackets. And enough of this bullshit about the kids missing too many classes, most of them aren't even in session in the early part of January and it doesn't seem to impact that IAA and D-II or D-III kids.

MAKE IT HAPPEN!

No comments: