Monday, December 31, 2007

Stiff of the Week: Greazy Tony II


This is the second time I am naming myself "Stiff of the Week" this year. The first was back on November 12, the day after the Redskins lost a game at home against Philly. That put the Skins at 5-4, and I named myself SOW because I was still letting myself be optimistic about the Skins' playoff chances, despite all evidence to the contrary. And I quote: "But then I woke up this morning and looked at the standings, and a funny thing happened. I found myself thinking that if they just go 4-3 over their last 7 games they will be 9-7 and that may be enough to make the playoffs." What happened next was totally unexpected, of course. The Skins lost the next two games to Dallas and Tampa (both games they could have, and probably should have won) and then endured the murder of a teammate.

When they couldn't rise up against the Bills in the days after Sean Taylor's death, I didn't think they would win another game. But, then came the Thursday night game against the Bears that turned into a battle of the backups who went to Michigan. Washington won that game to keep a faint pulse in their hunt for January football, but with their starter out, they would have to do it with Todd Collins. I didn't think they could win with Collins, but I was impressed with the career he had forged for himself.

Then came the win in Minneapolis which made me realize that I couldn't downplay their chances any longer. But with all that I had been through in the last 6 week, I sat down to watch the game today thinking the Skins would get their doors blown off. I've conditioned myself to think this way, so when they do lose it stings less. I'm an eternal pessimist, and for this I must be made the last stiff of the week for 2007. I would have to thing that Cowboys fans will be at the gates of the game in two weeks (be it vs the Skins, Giants or Tampa) trying to stop this woman from entering:

No comments: