Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Counting the Days


How long until September? The O's fell 13-3 in their game today, missing out on a chance to sweep the Yankees. No matter how much I liked seeing them kick the shit out of Mike Mussina the other night, one thing is true. It's hard for me to get very excited about the O's these days. There are two many guys who roll over into a double play in a big situation, and too many pitchers who just can't get into the late innings.

I do think my interest in the O's will get a lot more pointed very soon, either in September or next April when Matt Wieters pulls on his #32 Orioles Jersey. Since being called up to AA the O's #1 prospect hasn't disappointed. In 31 games he is hitting .350-6-26 and has walked (18) more than he has struck out (16). in 69 games at single A, he hit .345-15-44, giving him totals for the year between Bowie and Frederick of .347-21-66 in 329 at bats over 100 games. I love this kid.

I don't think he's the next Albert Pujols or anything, but he isn't far away from that based on his numbers, and he previous success in college. Bring on '09!

No comments: