Sunday, July 6, 2008

Nice Hat, Does it Come with a free bowl of soup?


"It looks good on you though."If you happend to watch a major league baseball game this weekend you probably noticed something strange about the hats the teams were wearing. In honor of the birth our nation, and to benifit the the Welcome Back Veterans fund, all MLB teams sported caps that had the team symbol overlaying the flag. Now I'm not a gun toating nut who finger-bangs my step daughter in the back of the trailor while my wife is working at Hooters, so I don't see the need to be over the top about my love of my nation. I love it by doing little things like voting, paying attention and understanding what democracy really is. What I don't do is wear a flag pin or display a "love it or leave it" bumper sticker, sue me.

So naturaly I think this display of forced, P.R. driven patriotism is aweful. Add to that the fact that MLB is selling these caps on their website for $34.99 and it is a total train wreck. Really? 35 bucks for this shitty hat? It's not like they even look good, because all the teams had to have the same color and the stars and stripes inside the teams symbols looks contrived and downright terible. The only thing that could make this situation worse is making the leagues loan team from Canada wear one of these hats with their own flag in it, dispite the fact that it is not one of their national holidays. What's that? Oh, shit:

1 comment:

XL said...

I think George Costanza must've gotten a job at MLB for these kinds of shenanigans to be going on...