Thursday, November 29, 2007

How bout some Hot Stove...All Right Luke Warm Stove Baseball


I haven't posted in awhile so I kind of feel like I'm due here. I've always thought the term hot stove baseball was weird. It's one of those things I feel like I should research to see where it originated. Do you think some guys actually sat around an ol' hot stove and talked about baseball in the old days when you had to walk up hill in the snow to go to school? I'm not sure but I'd bet it has something to do with that.


Enough about that, I saw an article on Yahoo today about top "blockbuster trade" possibilities. Among the names listed were Miguel Tejada (no surprise there) and Erik Bedard (what the fuck??). As far as Tejada goes the Orioles aren't going to win with him any time soon but may be able to get some kind of rotation and bull pen help from trading him. I say do it and don't look back!! He hasn't wanted to be here for two years now anyway so send his Dominican ass somewhere else. If he hadn't gotten hurt he would've been traded in July anyway.


As for Bedard, the stupidest thing the Orioles could do is trade this kid. He is two years away from being able to file free agency and he led the league in strike outs til he got hurt in September. He is an ace of the future and if the team is run correctly the centerpiece of a franchise that could be on the up swing in about two years. If the Orioles don't contend in 2009 they may never contend again. All of their young talent is signed through that time frame (including Tejada) and they have the potential to be a really good team. That being said I'm sure Angelos will find a way to mis-manage it and cause us die hards more undue pain.


At least this season I'll be able to cross at least one new stadium off my list as DC will be opening. I also have plans to go to Chi-Town to see the Cubbys play possibly against the O's. That will probably be the high light of another sub par under .500 season for the Birds. As for the ol' hot stove I prefer my nice gas furnace.

No comments: