Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Oops, They Did it Again


Today is always one of my favorite days in sports. No, not Tuesday. But, the day after something happens that makes every sportswriter have to tear up a month's worth of columns. Let me explain. I'm sure you've seen this in the past few weeks.

Eli Manning is better than Peyton now. The Giants are quite literally the best team in the NFL, not just the NFC. Jon Lester is unbeatable at home. Josh Beckett has been the Sox best pitcher in the post season. The Dodgers have Manny mojo, and that is all they need.

Wait, what? You see all that stuff that people have been spewing is now considered null and void. Why you ask? Well, Beckett and Lester allowed 8 and 9 runs respectively against the Rays. Manny Ramirez may know how to fight and talk shit but so far that hasn't helped the Dodgers out of their 3-1 hole. And, poor Eli. I think he has suffered the most. He went from the next big thing to the dog house. Letting those Cleveland Browns run all over him and throwing 3 interceptions doesn't jive with the mantle they've handed him. Those poor sportswriters, they trusted him and Eli made a fool of them. So did John Lester. How dare they?

I just wish, again, that someone would let me get paid big bucks to be so wrong so often. These people, I mean, I know they're just doing what they are supposed to do. But, it all comes down to perspective. Eli is good, but better than Peyton? Too soon to tell, but that isn't a sexy headline. BoSox unstoppable, repeat inevitable (one more time)? Sounds better than Big Papi 0 for 34 in the series.

But, hey. Why bother with perspective when it is more fun to guess? Maybe every sports writer should spend some time in Philly. It will knock all the optimism and hyperbole right out of them. Then, maybe they could be a little less excited next time the Cowboys sign a felon and Kyle Orton has a few good weeks. But, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. Check back next week.

No comments: