Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Greazy goes to the Hall: Football

While out in Western PA doin' some bid'ness I thought I would take some time to meet up with some friends and hit the Football Hall Of Fame in Canton Ohio. So I picked them up in Pittsburgh and we headed West, bound for Canton. Now, maybe you folks know more about Canton Ohio then I did before this trip, but apparently it is quite a hot spot. We just assumed we could drive into town and get a hotel room... not so. The woman at the counter of the Fairfield Inn actually laughed at us when we asked if they had any rooms.

I was reminded of the line from "Dogma" only in our case it was "next time I suggest you not underestimate the staggering drawing power of Canton." We stayed a few miles up the road in Alliance OH, which is obviously not the draw that Canton is, because we got a room with out having to suck dick or anything.

We took a few hours to stroll through the Hall, which I still maintain is not as good as it's baseball cousin in Cooperstown NY. Oh, by the by, did I mention that XL and I are going there in a week to see Cal Ripken and Tony Gywnn inducted? No. Well we are.

Our threesome included a Skins fan (me) a Philly fan and a Cowboys fan. Needless to say there was a lot of good natured ball busting from the Boy's fan and myself to the Eagles fan over there lack of a title when compared to the 8 held by our teams. There was also a bit of talk about another Skins and Boys related topic:

How can Michael Irvin be a Hall-of-Famer if Art Monk isn't? Here is the break down.

Monk:
Years: 16, Games: 224
Receptions: 940, Yards: 12,721
AVG: 13.5, TD: 68
Superbowls: 3

Irvin:
Years: 12, Games: 159
Receptions: 750, Yards: 11,904
AVG: 15.9, TD: 65
Superbowls: 3

Sure, Playmaker gathered his numbers in 75 or so less games, but he also played in a much more explosive era. He was much more of a presence on the field than Monk, but you would be hard pressed to argue that he was more important to his team's overall success than Monk. This is a disgrace and needs to be fixed next year!

No comments: