Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My New Favorite College BBall Team


Normally I hate St. Mary's, the one in Maryland that is, because they are in my Alma mater's conference. I also hate St. Mary's MD because one of their players once threatened my life from the floor because I was heckling him big time, but that's another story for another time.

The St. Mary's that I'm all about these days is the St. Mary's in the Oakland suburbs. The Gaels have started this year 4-0 including an early season upset of #12 Oregon last night. I'm all about mid-major schools who knock off the big boys, but even more so when 4 players on the team hail from down under. In the win over the Ducks the Gaels were paced by Patrick Mills who is from Canberra. Mills poured in 37 points to go along with his 5 assists and 2 steals, not bad for an 18 year old kid huh? Mills is a 6-0 guard, and is joined on the Gaels roster by fellow Aussies Carlin Hughes (G, 6-2) Lucas Walker (F, 6-8) and Ben Allen (C, 6-11).

All they need to field a starting 5 is the Aussie Shaq (pictured at the start of the post with Mills) Nathan Jawai (F, 6-8) is only 20 but skipped playing college ball with fellow Aussie Aborigine Mills so he could play pro ball in Australia for the Cairns Taipans.

So, I'll set my Tivo to record any St. Mary's Gaels games so I can watch my Aussie buddies hoop it up. I still hate the St. Mary's Seahawks, and they can go fuck them selves, even if they do get an Aussie player. That's doubtful, since all they seem to get are DI kids who can't spell or get caught dealing drugs.

No comments: