Monday, November 26, 2007

Wait...He's not going for it?


I watched football from Noon until 11:30 yesterday with a group of my college buddies, which was a great way to spend a day. Never mind the fact that the Redskins are bitches and let the Bucs off the hook, or that my fantasy team got shit hammered by one of my old roommates, the big thing I took from this week was the inimitable proof that the Pats ran up the score in weeks past.

With the score tied at 14, and the ball resting on their own 6 yard line New England faced a fourth and goal. Rather than throwing it to Moss or bringing in all their linebackers to go for it (remember Belichick's quote "what are we supposed to do, Kick a field goal?) he kicked a field goal. Oh now, wait a minute. Is he saying that there are times when you just take the points rather than try and score a TD? (A fact I wish Joe Gibbs knew, since we went for it when we should have taken the chip shot FG)

Later with the score 17-14 another Pat's drive stalled in the red zone and rather than trying to convert a first down or score from the 14 they lined up for another FG. They missed this one, and at that point the Eagles fans in the room began to believe they could win. I did too, and more importantly I wanted them to. And the only thing that pisses me off more than Belichick actually remembering how to send in the field goal team is that the Patriots succeeded in making me inclined to side with the Eagles.

No comments: