Saturday, September 6, 2008

This Day In Baseball History

It is September, the pennant race is starting to heat up and as an O's fan I am left with just my memories of a better time. This day in Orioles history 1995 Cal Ripken Jr. broke Lou Gehrig's consecutive game streak. A record that was allegedly impossible to break was broken this night and would go on to be shattered at 2632 consecutive games. This record has sparked many controversies in the sports world as well as among our friends that are haters.

Even after Cal was inducted 2 inductions ago in Cooperstown I have friends (dumb ass friends) that will argue the only reason he is in the Hall is because of 2131. That if he sat down a game or so in his career he'd just be another mediocre short stop with no legacy. All I can say is I'm glad I don't live in Westchester, PA because there must be something in the water. I realize that in the juiced up era that Ripken played in his numbers are not as impressive as they could've been had he juiced. The fact is the man was the face of a franchise for 2 decades, a rookie of the year, a 2 time MVP, and a key ingredient in the 83 World Series championship. Not to mention all the All Star appearances and I believe 2 MVP awards for that game as well. He redefined a position once played by non hitting little guys and paved the way for the likes of A Rod and Jeter even if I hate both of them.

I digress, today is about remembering the accomplishment that it took Cal nearly a career to achieve. It also allows me to remember back to a time when I actually enjoyed tuning into an O's game. Another great accomplishment on this day was Eddie Murray's 500th home run which came this day but in 1996. Greazy was present for that game as he constantly reminds me so I will leave that historic post for him. But I'm sure he'll agree with me in saying that it is sad that both of us have to go back in time 12 to 13 years to feel good about baseball. The 08 season is all over accept for the crying, another sub .500 season but with a small ray of hope for 09 to be better. So today we will toast Cal, I'm sure on Baseball Tonight he will get a mention, and that will probably be the only Orioles coverage on ESPN for the day.

No comments: