Monday, September 29, 2008

Ups and Downs of the Football Weekend


This was quite a weekend in the world of football of all codes and levels. It kicked off (pardon the pun) on Thursday night when the number one team in the NCAA, USC, lost once again to Oregon State. It was just the harbinger of bad things to come for top 10 teams, as Georgia, Florida and Wisconsin all followed Southern Cal's lead on Saturday. The two College teams I follow both notched big conference wins this weekend as Penn State jumped to #6 nationally with a 38-34 win over #22 Illinois and Maryland won their second game over a ranked opponent by taking down #20 Clemson 20-17.

This weekend also happened to be the Championship Game of the Australian Rules Football League, and the game also produced a number one team losing. The previous once beeten Cats lost to the Hawthon Hawks as Inky, XL and I watched surrounded by Aussie Meat Pies, Aussie Beer and candy.

Sunday two other seemingly untouchable teams lost, one made me sad and one basicly turned me into a 6 foot tall erection. After three nearly untouchable weeks my fantasy football team lost by 45 points after most of my players failed to find the endzone. But, I couldn't care less about that, since the Washington Redskins went in to Big D and took TO out of the game en route to a huge win over the Cowboys!

In the end, it was all worth it.

No comments: