Sunday, April 27, 2008

Man Holidays


There are a few days a year that I look forward to with complete and total excitement. I like to think of them as "Man Holidays" and there isn't much that can ruin them for me. This past weekend constitutes one of these Manadays, and if you think I'm talkin 'bout watching to see "the big un" at Taladega, then please never read this blog again. Of course, the big event this weekend was the NFL draft, which is really just a throw away event, but one that so many of us enjoy.

If you love NCAA and/or NFL football then this is a great event for you. The college fan gets to see the culmination of 3, 4 or 5 years on campus for a bunch of great young athletes. The pro fan gets to feel some hope about the coming season, like XL getting excited about Shane Falco being the new Ravens QB, or me watching as the Skins load up on targets for Jason Campbell. Plus, it makes for a great excuse for XL and I to sit and talk on the phone for 3 hours about both of those topics.

My other Sports Holidays are:

NCAA Basketball Championship Game/Baseball opening day- We didn't get these two together this year, but we almost always do. It's a great day to call of out of work to go see a day baseball game, and then get home in time for the title game.

The first Thursday of March Madness - I never work on this day, preferring to sit on my couch all day waiting for the first big upset, and watching my bracket fall apart.

Super Bowl Sunday - I think this on is self explanatory, but it's genius is that it is a one and done game, not a series like the NBA, NHL and MLB.

AFL Grand Final - This is a new one on my list, and my tradition with it started at 2 in the morning at XL's house last year watching the Cats kill Port Adelaide.

Masters Sunday - I'm not a huge golf fan, but I almost always end up watching the fourth round at Augusta.

Baseball Hall of Fame Induction - After going to two induction weekends, including the largest ever, I have a special place in my heart for this event. I think I'll end up going back despite the fact that no other O's look poised to get in any time soon.

Almost as important as the events on my list, are the ones which no longer peak my interest. I don't watch all star games any longer, which is a shame because I once loved them.

No comments: