Monday, April 14, 2008

They Don't Call Him Big Bad Barry For Nothin'



I get three or four Aussie Rules games from Setanta a week, and I try to watch them all. This requires prioritizing, and so this weekend I watched Geelong take St. Kilda’s best shot, and then go on to win 42. That was Saturday Morning right after I woke up. Then Inky and I watched Carlton down Collingwood at the G last night, which left me just one game to watch: The ’05 and ’06 Grand Final rematch of Sydney v West Coast, which I planned on watching tonight.

I guess I should have watched this one first. Barry Hall was frustrated by all of the pushing and hanging on, to which he was subject to at the hands of Brent Staker, and he let the moment get the best of him. After Staker accidentally hit Hall in the throat, Barry elbowed his throat, and then he turned around and punched him full in the face, dropping him like a sack of potatoes. I love the point after the punch, when Barry throws his arms up in the air, in the international “What did I do?” motion. Then Brett Jones comes in to take umbrage with the situation, and Bazza drops him like third period French. All good things come in threes, so as the kerfuffle continued; Barry gave Beau Waters a shot for good measure.

All this adds up to a month or so off work for Big Bad Barry, and one less weapon for the Swans to use when they travel to Skilled Stadium to take on the Cats next weekend. It will be interesting to see what happens if Barry every brings that big leg, and bigger temper to the US to punt in the NFL.

No comments: