Thursday, April 24, 2008

Now What the Fuck Was That About?


I'm not one of those "anything that's not American, must suck" people. Hell, I love me some Aussie Rules Football, as one scan through this blog will tell you, but even i have limits. I turned on Setanta sports (the network I subscribe in order to watch said international football) the other day and I saw a crazy game. It's called hurling, and it originates from Ireland. The field looks like an American football field, but it has a soccer like goal at each end, which also has NFL like uprights coming out of it.

The game is played with a baseball like ball, and feild hockey like bats. The players seem to be able to pass using their hands, but main form of passing and scoring is scooping the ball up with the bat, and then hitting it while it hangs in the air. If it goes in the net, then it is a goal, if it goes above the crossbar and through the uprights then it is a point. The score line is like that of Aussie rules football: 1.10 being one goal, ten points, 3.9 being three goals and nine points.

There is a ton of swinging of the bat near heads, knees and feet which leads me to believe that a bunch of these guys get fucked up. The odd part (as if the rest of this wasn't odd) is, that while all the players on the field wear helmets, the goalie doesn't. What the fuck kind of sense does that make?

Still, I found myself watching this sport, and with the magic of Setanta, I may watch it again. I just can't get enough sport, and that makes me wonder why ESPN stopped showing this kind of stuff.

No comments: