Friday, September 21, 2007

Cats Keep on Rolling


I woke up at 5:50 am to sit in front of my computer to listen to a fantastic Football game. The Geelong Cats took on the Collingwood Magpies in front of 98,002 people at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. All that was at stake was a spot in the AFL Grand Final...That's Australian for Superbowl, mate. I started to follow Geelong after a stop in the town during our '05 vacation to Oz. So, I wasn't as invested as the legion of Geelong supporters who have been waiting since the '63 season for a flag, but I was on edge all the same.

With a minute to go the Cats had a 5 point lead, and I was literally on the edge of my seat 'till the siren sounded. The Cats were victorious 13.14(92) to 13.9(87) thanks in large part to the efforts of Brad Ottens, Cam Mooney and Gary Ablett Jr. It was a tight game through out, with Geelong holding an 11 point lead after the first quarter, but just a 5 point lead after the second and third stanzas before winning by the same margin. Collingwood surged ahead at times, but Geelongs dogged attack and fresh legs prevailed in the end. I'm on the road next weekend to pay up on my bet with XL, so I'll have to stay up late to listen to the game on the net, or if I'm lucky he may be able to get the game on his satellite. Hmm, maybe I should make a call....

No comments: