Friday, September 14, 2007

Stud of the Week: Chad Bentz

I went to the last York Revolution home game of the year last night and I was treated to a pounding of the Bridgeport Bluefish. The Rev's (57-66) took down the fish (59-64) 19 to 2 in a game that became laughable real quick. For some reason the Fish Skipper, Tommy John, let his starter go and inning and two thirds while giving up 12 runs on 7 hits and 6 walks. Once John pulled Nick Bierbrodt he brought in Randy Dickin, Rafael Bergstrom and Sean Fresh who combined for three inninsgs pitched yeilding 7 runs on 7 hits and 4 walks.
The only guy who could stop the bleading was Chad Bentz, who came out with two outs in the 5th and finally silenced the Rev's bats. Ok, maybe not silenced but at least he didn't give up any runs. Bentz pitched an inning and two thirds allowing 0 runs on 2 hits and no walks while striking out 1. If you've heard his name before, let me remind you why it rings a bell. Jim Abbott.

Bentz was born without a right hand, and he pitches much like Abbott did, with his glove upsidedown on his right arm, allowing him to put his left hand in it to feild the ball or take the throw from the catcher. I am always in awe of people who don't let something out of their controle stop them from doing something they want to do. For that reason I tip my cap to Chad Bentz who's still doin' it. I hope he makes it back to the Majors one day and I wish him all the success he wants.

No comments: