Sunday, January 20, 2008

Studs of the Week: My College Teams

My old man went to Maryland, and I was all set to go there myself, but it was just a bit too big for me. So I wound up at York College, a small liberal arts school of about 5,000 students that cost me less than 10k a year. I met my wife and my best friend there so I see it as a win-win. So when it comes to DIII hoops, I obviously root for my Alma Mater, and I was happy to follow them to the final four a few years back, with XL at my side. As for DI hoops, I am and always have been a Terps fan. Even through the days of Len Bias' death, post season bans, and watching as UNC and Duke get all the best talent in the nation each year. That all paid off when the Terps won it all by beating Duke in the Tourney.

This weekend Maryland knocked off #1 and previously unbeaten North Carolina in a game they led nearly throughout. Bambale Osby's bucket sealed a two point win for the Terp's and likely dropped UNC to the second of third spot in the polls. Maryland has a tendency to trap one of the giants from Tobacco Road every other year or so, but it mostly happens in College Park, making this win much better since it happened at the Dean Dome. Senior James Gist poured in 22 points and pulled down 13 boards in the win. He and Osby harassed Tyler Hansbrough the whole night, and the All American posted a wretched 6-15 shooting night for just 17 points. The win puts Maryland at 12-7, but will help come selection time, where they may be on the bubble for an at large bid.

As for the school I actually went to, it's been an up and down year. The Spartans have looked great at times and have stumbled at others. Yesterday they did what you have to do to have a good season: they thumped a far inferior team. Senior All American Chad McGowan lead the way in a 91-66 win over the Gallaudet Bison at the Grumbacher Center. McGowan, who may be on his way to breaking the scoring record at the school, tallied 31 points on 15-21 shooting and added 7 boards. The Spartans now stand at 10-6 and 5-2 in the CAC which leaves them in a second place tie with Mary Washington, who they beet in December. Conference leaders, Hood College, are now playing without their beast in the middle who is academically ineligible, so that may open things up in the second half of the season.

No comments: