Friday, January 25, 2008

Where To?


I'll be heading to Chicago for a few days next week on a business trip, and I'm trying to decide how to spend my free time. Obviously I could go and see the Second City, or catch Todd Rundgren while he's in town, but I was hoping for a sports related theme for my visit to Chitown. The Bulls aren't playing during my stay, but I could visit the Jordan statue at the United center for a Blackhawks game vs the Avalanche. I like the NHL, and if you're going to see hockey it should be live, and if you're going to see live hockey it should be in an original 6 town. So that has strong possibilities. That game is on the 30th at 8:30.

Also on the 30th my menu of college games begins when Northwestern welcomes Texas Pan-American to town for a non-conference ass whipping. You can't go wrong with Big 10 games, but I just wish it was against almost anyone other then UTPA. Not much of a draw. The slate is a bit better on the 31st when I can check out one of two games in the Horizon League. First is a bit of a snoozer as Loyola (6-13, 2-7) hosts Youngstown State (7-12, 3-6). Neither of these teams are likely to be appearing in the bracket come March, the same can't be said for the other game on the 31st. That game pits Horizon leaders Cleveland State (14-6, 7-1) taking on a capable Illinois Chicago (10-9, 4-4) squad. Cleveland State toppled #12 Butler back on January 17th by a 56 to 52 count and lead the Ho by a half a game.

While in the windy city, I also plan on getting down to see Soldiers Field, and perhaps Wrigley Field if my travels allow. I just wish it wasn't going to be in the single digits with a threat of snow while I'm there. After I wrap my time in Chicago I'll be attending a behind the scenes tour of Camden Yards with one of the owners of the Orioles. Sometimes, it's hard to be Greazy, sometimes.

No comments: