Sunday, February 3, 2008

Where Are They Now: Bud Bowl III MVP Bud Dry


Who could forget the classic series of Bud Bowl featured throughout the Super Bowl for 8 glorious years in the late 80's and early 90's. These battles of the keg iron are now legend in the BFL (Budweiser Football League) archives. With Budweiser ultimately taking the 8 game series 5 games to 3 there is very little for Bud Lite to remember of note however they did have one glorious game Bud Bowl III with an upstart quarterback that led them to the promised land in 1991.

Budweiser had all the momentum throughout this game bringing in the Freezer on a huge goal line touch down and using the advantage of the "Long Neck" to score a late touch down to go ahead. It was Bud Dry who not only ran for a Touch Down on a trick play but also completed a play action pass to keep the Lite beer close. In the end Lite prevailed with an amazing kick off return as time expired in a play similar to Cal-Stanford's 82 "The Play".

It's been 17 years and I was able to catch up with Bud Dry to see what he's been doing with his time. The below is the transcript of our interview:

XL: So Bud Dry, we haven't seen or heard from you since your stand out performance in Bud Bowl III. What have you been doing with yourself?

BD: Well XL, that game was the high light of my career but after that things just took a turn for the worse. I was on top of the BFL world and thought that nothing would stop me, I knew with Bud Lite returned to glory I'd be the center piece of the team for years to come. That's when I decided I would hold out for more money to play next season.

XL: Wow, that was never published in the sports media, how did that work out for you?

BD: Not real good, it turns out there wasn't much of a market for Bud Dry, people didn't want a beer that would leave them thirstier and also had a little bit of a piss taste to it. Although I didn't agree with their criticism the Clydesdales (or the Dales as I call them) decided that they didn't want to have me back and I ended up on the streets of St. Louis giving cap for spare change.

XL: Would you say that was your rock bottom?

BD: Absolutely, I couldn't get a job anywhere, no one wanted a Dry beer for anything, not even to clean the acid off their car battery. I tried taking some performance enhancing drugs to boost my alcohol content but all that did was make me flat and watered down. I had no where to go and no one cared what happened to me. I was seconds away from jumping off the arch when my life was changed forever.

XL: Wow, what happened that brought you back?

BD: Well one of the Dales son's spotted me and remembered me from that magical Bud Bowl III game. He told me that I was his hero growing up and how he appreciated the miraculous victory I brought about for Bud Lite. He wanted me to come back to work, not as a quarter back but as a scout for future Bud Lite players. He said if I could clean myself up he'd help me get back on my feet and I'd be back in the game even though I wouldn't be playing. So I've been up in the Molsen Canada League where the rules are a little different but the talent is plentiful.

XL: Well that is some story Bud Dry, I'm glad I could track you down to share your story with the people on this the most sacred day for any former Bud Bowl player Super Bowl Sunday.



1 comment:

Greazy Tony said...

That’s a great story... compelling and rich. A fantastic bit of journalism on your part XL.