Monday, February 11, 2008

Where Are They Now: World Series of "Go Fish" Champion Ed Nichols


By request I am now traveling weekly to catch up with champions of the past, to relive their glory and to find out "where are they now", this week we find the World Series of "Go Fish" champion of 1987 Ed Nichols. Mr. Nichols overcame amazing odds to pull off his victory in what has been referred to by "Go Fish" experts as the greatest hand ever played. The following is the transcript of our interview:

XL: So Ed, you were not an easy guy to track down since your rise to fame. Tell us a little about how you got into the game of "Go Fish".

EN: Well XL, "Go Fish" is a game of cunning and strategy. My grand mother used to play with me when I was just a little boy and she showed me the ropes. I remember the first time I beat her was when I asked if she had any 2's and I just knew she was going to say "Go Fish" but she didn't. She had a 2 and I was able to go out on top. It was the first time I ever experienced winning something and it felt good. I also felt the Lord was telling me to pursue "Go Fish" so I did.

XL: Wow, not only did you beat your grandma but the Lord inspired a great career, you can't make that kind of thing up. How did you rise to the top of the "Go Fish" world?

EN: It was not easy, other kids were outside playing tag and dodge ball so it made it hard for me to hold my own matches. Fortunately I had Larry the Leper in my class and he was never allowed to go outside. Larry and I would play for hours, he on his side of a bubble and me out in the real world. Larry may have been irreversibly deformed but he taught me a lot about my tells. For example, whenever I held face cards I would smell my upper lip and when I held an ace I put my hand down my pants. These were things I never realized until he pointed them out to me. After months of playing against Larry I entered my first tournament.

XL: How does one go about entering a "Go Fish" tournament?

EN: It's not that hard, my Mom just had to take me to the local YMCA and pay $10 for me to play. It kept me entertained for hours and allowed her to do what she loved which was random strangers. Heads up "Go Fish" is tough for most kids, a lot of them were used to playing with other siblings or parents but I was used to it. Larry and I spent hours playing heads up so I was confident and had learned to pick up tells of other players. It didn't take me long to house the field. This tournament turned out to be a qualifier to get into the World Series field of 64 so that's how I made it.

XL: Where is the World Series of "Go Fish" held? I can't say I've ever been to one.

EN: They hold it in Pawtucket Rhode Island where the fish are plentiful. As each contestant is eliminated they are taken out on a boat to fish so it's kind of a win win scenario. I blew through the first couple of rounds and ended up in the final four. The final four match was pretty grueling as I was playing a 75 year old grand mother from Houston who had a walker. She didn't take prisoners and even threatened me with bodily harm when I began to take the advantage. She tried to bluff me out but I could tell by the look in her eye that she was out of Aces so I asked for a Jack and took her down. The championship match was against a 35 year old guy who liked to beat his kids in games and rub it in. He also tried to intimidate me but I've stared down a leper so I was having none of it. Words can't describe how I felt when I took his last card and entered the history books.

XL: What's the prize for winning anyway?

EN: I got a life time supply of Bumble Bee tuna a new Atari 2600 and $5000 cash. For a young kid that's not bad although I hate tuna fish.

XL: I understand that you didn't enter the tournament again. Why?

EN: I felt like I had proven what I needed to prove in the world of "Go Fish" and decided to pursue a better game like Pong. I loved my Atari and soon abandoned all games that were not computer oriented. Looking back I wish I had spent more time outside.

XL: Which brings me to the question of what are you doing now?

EN: I am the day manager of a wonderful establishment called Weiner World. We are right in the heart of the industrial section and get tons of business from the employees at Edgecomb, and McCrory's. We used to do a little better when the Caterpillar plant was open but we're making in through. Tons of people still patronize our business.

XL: So you're happy with your lot in life? You enjoy flipping wieners all day?

EN: I won't lie, I'd rather be playing "Go Fish" and trust me I've considered coming out of retirement but I don't think I can get the time off. Also, Larry is dead now so I don't have a good sparring partner. I do hope one day to make it to General Manager of Wiener World though, then I'll be set.

XL: Nice talking to you Ed, and by the way you do make a mighty fine wiener!! I'll patronize your establishment anytime.

1 comment:

Greazy Tony said...

Go fish must have been a big challenge... compared to the volume of business they do, at Wiener world.