Thursday, August 2, 2007

Ben Graham: Ball Kicker

NFL Training camps are under way, and just in time. The O's will start losing in big chunks any day now if they hold true to the August's of years past. It's almost as if they want to turn things over the Ravens and Redskins, and I'm OK with that now. August also means the start of Fantasy Football, which like millions of American men and women, I take very seriously. I have one league title and the best winning percentage in the playoffs in the 7 year history of my main league. The Home Depot presents Your Mom is looking good for this year as I have three strong keepers (S. Alexander, D. Brees, L. Fitzgerald). Plus I have my eyes on a few quality players to pick up in our draft.

One guy I won't be picking is Ben Graham, the punter for the J-E-T-S: Jets, Jets, Jets. And it's not for lack of interest, just for lack of a punter on most Roto teams. Growing up as a Skins fan in Central Jersey I didn't get to watch a lot of Skins games on TV, and there was no way I was watching Big Blue. So I watched Ken O'Brien, Al Toon, Mark Gastineau and the Jets, where Graham now plays. And for the last 3 year's I've been following Aussie Rules Footy very closely and the team I have picked to support is the Geelong Cats, who Graham used to play for.

While active in Aussie Rules Graham played over 200 games and collected some impressive totals (985 marks, 2693 disposals, 145 goals and 113 behinds.) He had his best goal kicking year in his last year before coming to the US to play our football. And he just keeps kicking here in the NFL posting some good numbers for the Jets as well. (32 games, 146 punts with 44 inside the 20 good for 30.1%, only 3.4 yards per return and no Fair Catches)

Since I can't have a punter on my team this year, I'm going to appoint Ben Graham as Head Coach of The Home Depot presents Your Mom. I think he will enjoy this honor as much as finals appearances in the AFL, Playoffs in the NFL and being a captain of both the Jets and the Cats. The only thing I could think of that would be better then being the coach of my Fantasy football team is being on Sesame St. and he's already done that: (Left to right: Ben Graham, L. Coles C. Pennington, Mangenius and some red sock.)

No comments: