Tuesday, August 7, 2007

"This is a Stick Up, Give Me 31 Million Dollars or I Won't Play For Your Shitty Team"

Well here we are almost a week into training camp and as we see every year now there are still unsigned first round draft picks "holding out". One can only wonder what JaMarcus Russell is thinking sitting on his ass in Alabama while the abysmal Raiders train for another losing season. He is asking for 31 million guaranteed plus escalators and other things not to mention the number of endorsements he'll likely get or already has. You have to wonder who is advising these guys on their career. Obviously it's not someone who has their best interest at heart. Brady Quinn finally signed today after his hold out and it seems the hold out was over a mere half million dollars. I' mean come on that's like welfare money in the NFL I'm sure he could've worked something out sooner.

One GM has suggested that the Raiders start reducing Russel's offer a million dollars of guaranteed money for each week he sits out until he signs. I'd love to see an NFL team take a stance like that but you know it will never happen. Al Davis had a reason for drafting this young man and I'm sure that in the end the Raiders will concede and fork over a truck load of cash. The worst thing is Russell very likely won't even be the opening day starter and probably won't start for awhile this season if Daunte Culpepper pans out. That means he'll be playing guard, center, tackle (all of us ex football players should get that one) making more than probably all of his team mates.

I realize this happens in all sports these days, my own Baltimore Orioles are not exempt from this having not signed or be close to signing their first round pick from this years draft. It would be nice to see a team or a whole league take a firm stance on this because as a fan I get tired of hearing/reading about it and when it's my team stressing about how it will affect their performance. The only thing Raiders fans have going for them is Russell will eventually sign because he knows if he doesn't he will be drafted on day 2 next year if at all. I think Bo Jackson was the last one to hold out a whole season but he had baseball to fall back on although who saw that whole degenerative hip thing coming?? I think JaMarcus "I want mines" Russell will be my stiff of the week for this week and every week until he signs a contract.

No comments: