Saturday, August 18, 2007

Greazy Tony: Sideline Reporter


Ten years ago at this very time I was in Boston interning for the Red Sox. I walked unencumbered throughout Fenway with my press pass and I even got to sign my name on the inside of the Green Monster. How did a kid from a tiny liberal arts school in PA get such a great internship you ask. By being a great fucking photographer, editor, and all around hot shot. Oh yeah, and my father's best friend is pretty much the smartest guy in the TV biz, that helped too.

So now, 10 years later I found myself headed to Boston again, this time for my new, sell out style career. I called my faux Uncle to see if we could get together for dinner while I was in town and I got a surprise. "Aun-Th-Knee, would you like to spend Friday night on the side lines at Gillette for the Pat's game?" He asked in his quintessential Boston accent. "Uhhhhhh.... fuck yeah!" I replied in my perfect non-regional diction. (I've been practicing while Inky and XL are busy laughing and grab-assing.)
And so it came to pass that I followed a single star to Foxboro so I could bring a gift to the Christ Child. Oh, wait. wrong story. I went and ate food in the press box, walked around the Field and stood close enough to Tom Brady to tell what religion he is (my my they wear such tight pants, Looks like I'll have to take Inky back for the Skins game in October!) I had a great time but it makes me sad that I got out of the broadcast biz when I did. The problem was that after a while, being at the stadiums for games became just like being at the office. Now when I get to do this it is really special and awesome!

No comments: