Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Yankees Are Going to Win It All: Part II


Two weeks ago I pointed out that the Yankers were destined to win the Series this year cause Scooter went tits up. Now, I'm sure that the Bombers are bound to win it all. We might as well just call the season off now and give them the trophy. What makes me so sure? They are setting the Moose loose, that's what.

In 2000 the Yankees won a subway series over the Mets and went out and loaded up with some more talent, making it look as if they were just going to keep on winning. The signed Mike Mussina away from my O's. The same Mussina who at that point owned one of the best winning percentages of all time (65%) and was just a pop up away from posting one of the greatest post season pitching performances in '97.

I was sick to my stomach that I would have to see Moose in Pinstripes. I had known since I worked for the O's cable station that he was a real asshole, but he was my asshole so I rooted for him. I was sure he would go to the Yanks and win 20 each year, get to 300 wins and most of all hoist the WS trophy. None of those things happened, call it the curse of the Moose. The Red Sox got rid of Babe Ruth and they were cursed, well the Yankees acquired Mike Mussina and they haven't won anything with him in their rotation.

Only, now it looks like he won't be in their rotation any more. Something about 0-3, 17.69 (19 ER in 9 2/3 IP) over his last three starts has scared Joe Torre a bit. Maybe he knows what I know, that the last time the Yankees had a pitching staff without Mussina on it they won 4 titles in 5 years.

So there it is; now that they are dumping Moose, and of coarse since Scooter died, they are going to win it all for sure. The worst part about it, is that I have a feeling that we'll see Mussina back in Orange and Black next year. He has one year left on his deal, but there's now way they let him back on the bump with numbers like those. So i foresee him shuffling on down to Baltimore.

There is no doubt that Mussina was a better pitcher for the O's then he has been for the Yankees. One look at the stats shows a higher winning percentage, lower ERA with the Birds even though he has stuck out more, and walked less with the Yankees. I guess that line up full of big bats hasn't helped him after all, huh.

Mussina The Oriole
  • Record: 147-81 (65%)
  • Starts - 324 (won 45.4% of Starts)
  • IP: 2009 2/3
  • ER: 789
  • ERA 3.53
  • K/KP9: 1535/6.87
  • BB/BBP9: 467/2.09

Mussina The Yankee

  • Record: 100-63 (61%)
  • Starts - 210 (won 47.6% of Starts)
  • IP: 1324 1/3
  • ER: 583
  • ERA: 3.96
  • K/KP9: 1113/7.56
  • BB/BBP9: 281/1.91

No comments: