Friday, August 24, 2007

I Can't Wait For Futbol Season...Honest


My Alma Mater is once again coming to life, with the arrival of the new Freshman today. The start of the school year also signals the start of the NCAA season, which if you went to a non-football school can be a bit tough till Basketball starts. That is the experience that XL, Inky and I had, and I'm not really one to complain too much about it. If our school added a football team we'd probably lose a few other sports in the budget crunch, so all's well that ends well I suppose.

I am still stuck with a void in my college sports schedule, till November when the mighty Spartans take to the hardwood. That is until the last few years, when I have joined a growing throng of students and alumni who spend their fall rooting for the soccer team. Last year the York College Men's team went 21-0-3, and bowed out of the NCAA tourney on PK's which in fact is the worst way to lose anything. XL and I were there watching with a few of our other friends, and I can safely say it was the first time any of them had ever seen a York College soccer game. Including the time we spent on campus as students. I had been watching as the season wore on, but only because I was already on campus.

This year's version of the ball kickin' Spartans features all of the most important parts of last year's unbeaten squad plus two D-1 transfers. Every chamber is loaded and they begin the season ranked #2 in the nation, with the #1 team just up the road at Messiah College. In last year's game York and Messiah tied at 1 all. So mark October 9th on your calender, it should be a good indicator of just how good the Sparts can be.

No comments: