Monday, August 13, 2007

President Ripken??


As I was perusing my sports page today I was somewhat shocked to see Cal Ripken being introduced as the "Special Sports Envoy" to the State Department. We all know about Cal's commitment to kids when it comes to youth baseball. His complex in Aberdeen is impressive even if it is costing the town he used to call home more money than they can manage. I expected Cal to stay involved in baseball, maybe even re-enter the Majors as a manager or possibly an owner in years to come. Never did I expect him to become this involved with government.

If ever the government of this country needed a clean image guy it is now. You can only wonder if this will do Ripken more harm than good. I hope he doesn't get sucked into this life style and decide he needs to "make a difference" in the world of politics. No doubt he'd be elected in a land slide to whatever he ran for in Maryland and who knows, he has the reputation and the love of a lot of Americans he could conceivably make a White House run at some point and come damn close. As a fan and admirer I'd hope Ripken will not get any deeper into this world and realize he can do more for kids and the country in general by keeping his good name and continuing on the path he has set for himself.

No comments: