Thursday, August 23, 2007

Is There a Draft In Here?


I will be hosting the boys here at HQ on Saturday for our annual Fantasy Football draft. This is nothing new for our little group of 12 friends and acquaintances, since we've been at it for 8 years now, but it's come to my attention that all manner of people are in leagues now.

When XL and the rest of the boys show up on Saturday for our day-long celebration of football, wings and poker we will have to realize that we are no longer alone. Not only is Inky the odds on favorite to win her league this year (LT, Chad Johnson, Marvin Harrison just to name a few) but there is at least one old lady in Charm City who will be in position to put a hurting on her elderly friends. She saw me reading my Athalon FFL mag and came over to me to ask if I was a Fantasy player.

When I told her that I had been at it for close to a decade she pulled out a yellow leagal pad and started asking me all sorts of questions. Should she take Willis McGahee with the 4th pick, who's going to carry the load for the G-men with Tiki gone, how soon is too soon to take a K and a DEF. I dropped some science on Nana and cautioned her against taking a player from her own team too early (I told her to look at Frank Gore or Stephen Jackson if LT and LJ are the first two picked, as they should be) and to stock up on RB's and worry about kickers in the late rounds.

Old ladies digging football is nothing new, Hell my Great Aunt Bootsie was as big a Skins fan as they come. But, I wasn't expecting a world where grannies are trash talking on their league's home page. Not that I have a problem with it, mind you. The more the merrier. I just wish I had asked her what her team name was.

No comments: